How We Work
The seven organisations behind Generation Place have been at the forefront of developing built environment education over the last 25 years. Developing their practice throughout the UK, the organisations have arrived at a common set of principles and methodology that have proved to be fundamental in engaging young people in the built environment, fostering active citizenship and supporting career development. Our five principles are:
- Place based: children learn best when applying their learning within the local and familiar area.
- Process focused: teaching through live experience, valuing collaboration and encouraging a healthy cycle of learning, (ie. process of learning, failure, problem solving, learning).
- Creative approach: using imaginative and inventive methods to encourage creative thinking.
- Diverse and inclusive: engaging young people from diverse and under-represented groups of people. Understanding that a successful place works for all the kinds of people that live there.
- Connects to the sector: offering young people direct and practical interactions with the placemaking process and its profession.
To find out how this work impacts young peoples lives and the built environment, go to the ‘IMPACT’ page.