PLACED (North West)
PLACED Holiday Programmes
PLACED holiday programmes enable up to 50 young people aged 13-19 to work on a project to redesign their built environment. Over four-days, participants take part in a wide range of creative design tasks that give them an insight into how places are designed and created. Programmes include site visits, thinking about who may use the space, developing their design ideas, and presenting their ideas in a final celebration event.
By working alongside our Ambassador Team – volunteer design professionals and university students – young people gain a much greater awareness of careers available in the built environment, and gain confidence in applying to university. A great emphasis is placed on enabling participants to develop significant transferable skills and knowledge, increase their self-confidence, and develop a better understanding of their local community.
- Increase young people’s knowledge of the built environment and their ability to share their ideas with others
- Enable young people to find out what it is really like studying and working in the built environment and support them in applying to university
- Develop broad transferable skills including team work, presentation, communication, problem solving and design skills
- Increase their self-confidence, develop pride and raise aspirations
- Support diversity of people going into the built environment professions by particularly focusing recruitment on young women, those from BAME communities and those from areas experiencing high levels of economic disadvantage.
Outputs from activities:
- We have run 10 programmes to date for over 400 young participants. Typically, each programme involves:
- Up to 50 young participants aged 13-19
- Four days of inspiring and creative workshops
- 10 volunteer design professionals and university students, each gaining personnel satisfaction and developing their own skills
- 1 final celebration event and exhibition of students work.
Outcomes from activities:
- Young people have a much greater understanding of the diverse range of roles and career options within the built environment sector, can make informed choices about their future and make connections with those working and studying in the sector
- Participants feel better prepared to apply to university and have enhanced applications
- Many participants have gone on to study related courses and volunteer as PLACED Student Ambassadors, inspired by taking part in the programmes
- Young people from BAME backgrounds and females inspired to consider careers in built environment sector
- Young people develop new skills in creative thinking, problem solving, the design process and team working
“I would definitely say this course has dramatically improved my confidence, leadership and team working skills as well as advancing my knowledge and design skills.”
“From a parent view I cannot thank you enough. It was a fantastic opportunity for Matt and he thoroughly enjoyed it. On the way home he said I am going to miss my Easter school. It was a wonderful experience for us all and a huge step for Matthew. He proved to himself that he can do something different, go somewhere he’s never been before, mix with people he didn’t know, do a presentation and make friends. It’s been a tremendous boost to his confidence and again I thank you for that.”
“Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to take part in this workshop. It has inspired me to consider the built environment as a future career. I really enjoyed the workshop, made new friends and learnt so much. I hope you have more workshops like this in the future.”